The Latvian Medical Students’ Association (LaMSA) is a non-governmental organization with the status of a public benefit organization promoting health and education and preventing diseases. It is managed and operated by the medical students who study in Latvia as well as by emerging health care professionals – dental students, public health students, rehabilitation specialists, and others.
LaMSA was founded in 2000 and has been a full member of the International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA) since 2002. In the beginning, LaMSA was founded to provide students with the opportunity to become familiar with the medical system, politics in other countries, identify different medical disciplines, apply their theoretical knowledge in various projects, and acquire new practical knowledge.
- We provide internship opportunities outside Latvia in cooperation with the International Medical Student Association (IFMSA).
- During the year, students are given the opportunity to work on public health projects – disease prevention and health days, campaigns, trips to the schools.
- LaMSA gives students the opportunity to develop skills that make them competitive future professionals – medical practice sessions, capacity building opportunities that we provide in collaboration with IFMSA and experienced professionals in Latvia.
- Regularly providing information on opportunities to attend events organized by IFMSA, WHO.
- Regular transmission of information to members about current events in Latvia and the World.
- Collaborate with other associations and societies to gain experience, meet prospective colleagues and acquaintances in organizing projects.
- International publicity opportunities provided by IFMSA. Possibility to publish in Medical Students International (MSI) and The European Sting magazines
- We encourage you to adopt new challenges and to promote your ideas in their implementation.
- Promote collaboration between medical students locally and internationally as a full member of IFMSA
- Organize and conduct clinical practice and scientific exchange programs for medical students (read more at www.lamsa.lv/index.php/profesionalas-apmainas/)
- Develop and participate in projects related to medical and social issues both in Latvia and worldwide.
- To educate the public on reproductive health, sexually transmitted diseases and their prevention.
- To promote medical education for students in Latvia
Association has various sources of funds. The funds of the Association shall consist of:
- membership fees;
- annual membership fees;
- donations, gifts, deductions, and wishes of natural and legal persons to the Association.
Association has many different projects for which the Association’s funds have been used. You can read about each project in a separate section.
In general, the association’s funds are used for:
- realization of the aims and tasks of the association;
- association for project implementation;
- payment for study and scientific missions;
- the functioning of the association and organization of events;
LaMSA is one of the national member organizations of the International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA). IFMSA is an organization for medical students founded in 1951. For more than 60 years, IFMSA has represented and united medical students worldwide and is one of the largest youth organizations in the world, which is also part of the World Health Organization and the United Nations. Currently, the Federation unites 128 national medical student associations from 115 countries on six continents with more than 1.3 million members.